June 20, 2011

Homemade Play Dough!

Last week it rained and rained and rained. I kid you not our backyard was drenched from Friday to Friday! I'm not complaining but my kids were... 'cabin fever' hit around Tuesday, they were over their colouring in books, the dress up box was getting boring, there's only so much cartoons anyone can cope with and the outside cubby house was looking much more fun than the one we built under the dining table! what to do next?.... Thinking cap went on and I pulled out my treasured hand written recipe book my mum gave me the day I moved out of home at 18 yrs old. I flipped to the back page and found mum's homemade play dough recipe and whipped up a batch for my restless kids.
This was the first time I had tried the recipe and I'm hooked! It is the perfect amount, consistency and I can make it in any colour the kids want!


Want to give it a go yourself?

YOU'LL NEED:
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of oil
3 teaspoons of cream of tartar
1 cup of water
food colouring

Sift dry ingredients together into a saucepan. Add water, oil & food colouring. Cook over low heat while constantly stirring until really thick - Play Dough thick. Allow dough to cool then you're ready to play!!
Store in a sealed container in the fridge when not in use.
NOTE: it was a tiny bit sticky at first so I did have to add a little extra plain flour to the mix when we first played with it... maybe just flour the surface you're playing with it on.... but now it's perfect!
Giggles

1 comment:

Crazy Gecko said...

Playdough's a wonderful rainy day life saver ... I blogged a while ago about jazzing it up a little when the rain clouds next head your way!
Elle

http://the-crazy-gecko.blogspot.com/2010/08/magic-sparkle-playdough-in-10-mins.html